Fundamentals of Power Engineering and Integration of Distributed Energy Resources
May 13th – June 14th, 2019
CAPER will be offering a five-week summer course in May and June 2019 that will provide a comprehensive overview of the fundamentals of power engineering and distributed energy resources. This course is intended for industry professionals who have completed at least a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or have comparable work experience. The course is designed to act as a refresher for the basics and as a brief introduction for more advanced topics.
Course Topics include three-phase fundamentals, transformers, transmission lines, substations, power flows, distribution systems, loads, power system planning, operation, protection, dynamics, stability and control, transients, and distributed energy resources and integration into the grid.
Upon completion, students should be able to:
- Perform three-phase analysis
- Understand the per-unit system
- Analyze transmission line electrical performance
- Perform power flow analysis
- Detailed knowledge of distribution systems, substations, and loads
- Better understanding of power system planning an operation
- Understand symmetrical components and their role in unsymmetrical fault analysis
- Analyze symmetrical and unsymmetrical short circuit scenarios
- Better understanding of power system protections
- Understand different forms of stability studies, root causes, controls, and different forms of power system transients
- Describe distributed energy resources and their integrations into the grid
- Understand and analyze power quality issues
Week 1: May 13th – 17th, 2019 at ZGEC
Weeks 2 – 4: Self-Study
Week 5: June 10th – 14th, 2019 at ZGEC
Zucker Graduate Education Center (ZGEC)
1240 Supply Street
North Charleston, SC 29405
CAPER Members: $2,495
Non-CAPER Members: $2,995
Early Bird discount until April 19, 2019: $2,245 for CAPER members only
There is no Early Bird discount available to Non-CAPER members
Students: student pricing available upon request. Please email email@example.com for details
Registration: Follow this link to register
Lodging: Please click here for nearby hotel recommendations.
Note: lodging is not included in the summer course pricing.
Registration open: February 1, 2019
Early Bird deadline: April 19, 2019
Welcome Reception: May 12, 2019
Course begin: May 13, 2019
For the complete course outline and further information, download the full CAPER Summer Course_Syllabus.