Johan H Enslin PhD, is the Director of the Zucker Family Graduate Education Center at Clemson University and the Duke Energy SmartGrid Technology Chair. Enslin has combined a 32-year career with leadership in industry and academia, in the US, Europe and South Africa. He served as an executive for private business operations and a professor in electrical engineering. Dr. Enslin initiated and led renewable energy teams, companies and executed multi-disciplinary power system projects. Over the course of his career Johan worked for more than 80 US, European, Asian and African power utilities, governments and industries. He authored and co-authored more than 280 technical journal and conference papers for IEEE and other organizations, and has written several chapters in scientific books. Johan is a life-long leader in the IEEE and CIGRÉ working groups and committees. He holds more than 21 provisional and final patents. He received the 2014 Charlotte Business Journal Energy Leadership Award. He is a registered Professional Engineer in South Africa, Fellow of the SAIEE and Fellow of the IEEE.
- 1981 – B.Eng. in Elect. & Electron Eng., Rand Afrikaans University, ZA
- 1983 – M.Eng. (Cum Laude), Elect. & Electron Eng., Rand Afrikaans University, ZA
- 1988 – D.Eng., Elect. & Electron Eng., Rand Afrikaans University, ZA
- 1986 – 1988 RWTH, Power Engineering Germany (ISET)
Academic/ Professional Appointments
- Director of the Zucker Family Graduate Education Center, Clemson University, Charleston, SC; October 2016 – present
- EPIC Director, UNC Charlotte, NC; August 2011 – September 2016
- Chief Technology Officer, Petra Solar, South Plainfield, NJ; September 2010 – September 2011
- Vice President of Planning, Quanta Technologies, Raleigh NC; March 2008 – September 2010
- VP and General Manager, Alpha Technologies, Bellingham WA; September 2007 – March 2008
- Adjunct in FREEDM Center, NC State University, NC; September 2007 – present
- Vice President and Principal, KEMA, Arnhem, NL; Raleigh NC; January 2000 – September 2007
- SAPSSI Manager – Distribution, ESKOM, Johannesburg, ZA; April 1997 – May 2000
- ECE Professor & Power Chair, University of Stellenbosch, ZA; February 1991 – January 2000
- JHR Enslin, “Integration of Photovoltaic Solar Power – The Quest towards Dispatchability”, IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Magazine April 2014.
- H Alatrash, A Mensah, E Mark, G Haddad, JHR Enslin: “Generator Emulation Controls for Photovoltaic Inverters”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 3, No 2, pp. 996-1011, June 2012.
- JHR Enslin, SMM Wolf, DB Snyman, W Swiegers: “Integrated Photovoltaic Maximum Power Point Tracking Converter”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol 44, no 6, pp 769-773, Nov./Dec. 1997.
- J Castaneda; JHR Enslin: “Energy Storage Study to Help in the Integration of Renewable Resources – Tehachapi Wind Energy Storage Project (TSP)”, Invited Panel Session, DistribuTech Conference, Tampa, Florida, USA, 23-25 March 2010.
- JHR Enslin: “Network Impacts of High Penetration of Photovoltaic Solar Power Systems”, Invited Panel Session, Paper PESGM2010-001626, IEEE PES General Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 25 – 29 July 2010.
- S Bhowmik, R Spée, JHR Enslin: “Performance Optimization for Doubly-Fed Wind Power Generation systems”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Application, Vol. 35 No 4, pp 949-958
Awards and Honors
- CBJ 2014 Energy Leadership Award honoree for efforts at EPIC and promoting energy education
- Fellow – Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) – November 2012 – For contributions to integration of renewable energy into power networks and using power electronics