Power System Analysis with Distributed Generation
CAPER will again be offering its four-week summer course in May and June 2020. This course will provide a comprehensive overview of the fundamentals of power engineering and power system analysis with distributed generation. This course is intended for industry professionals who have completed at least a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or have comparable work experience. The course is designed to act as a refresher for the basics and as a brief introduction for more advanced topics.
Course Topics include three-phase fundamentals, transformers, transmission lines, substations, power flows, power electronics, distribution systems, loads, power system planning, operation, protection, dynamics, stability and control, transients, and distributed energy resources and integration into the grid.
Upon completion, students should be able to:
- Perform three-phase analysis
- Understand the per-unit system
- Understand AC machines operation and different kind distributed generations
- Analyze transmission line electrical performance
- Perform power flow analysis
- Be familiar with power electronics devices, converters, and machine drives
- Have detailed knowledge of distribution systems, substations, loads, and the effect of distributed generations
- Have in-depth understanding of power system planning and operation
- Understand symmetrical components and their role in unsymmetrical fault analysis
- Analyze symmetrical and unsymmetrical short circuit scenarios
- Be familiar with renewables and storage control and integration and their challenges
- Better understand of power system protections
- Understand different forms of stability studies, root causes, controls and different forms of system transients
- Describe distributed energy resources and their integrations into the grid
- Understand and analyze power quality issues
Week 1: May 10th – 15th, 2020 at ZGEC
Weeks 2 – 3: Self-Study
Week 4: June 1st – 5th, 2020 at ZGEC
Zucker Graduate Education Center (ZGEC)
1240 Supply Street
North Charleston, SC 29405
CAPER Members: $2,495
Non-CAPER Members: $2,995
Early Bird discount: $2,245 for CAPER members only
There is no Early Bird discount available to Non-CAPER members
Students: student pricing available upon request. Please contact us for more details.
Registration: Coming Soon!
Lodging: Please click here for nearby hotel recommendations.
Note: lodging is not included in the summer course pricing.
Registration open: TBD
Early Bird deadline: TBD
Course begin: May 10, 2020
Welcome Reception:May 11, 2020
For the complete course outline and further information, download the full CAPER Summer Course_Syllabus.