CAPER IAB (Industry Advisory Board) Fall 2018 Meeting
November 15th, 2018
The Center for Advanced Power Engineering Research (CAPER) is a membership-driven consortium among several universities and numerous industry partners created to develop and demonstrate a comprehensive and integrated methodology for grid modernization.
On November 15th, 2018 CAPER held the annual Industry Advisory Board Fall Meeting.
Location: Embassy Suites by Hilton & Charleston Area Convention Center in Charleston, SC 29418
Attendees: 51 university faculty and students as well as 31 industry and government participants
The Meeting began at 8:00 am on Thursday, November 15th, 2018. Steven Whisenant, CAPER Steering Committee Chair, started the meeting with an introduction and safety moment.
Steve stated the objectives of this IAB Fall Meeting and shared recent In The News headlines concerning the power industry.
All of the following presentations, delivered in the various sessions, are available on the Members-Only Section of this website.
Session I – Analyzing the Value of Utility Scale Storage
- Value Streams for Utility Scale Storage Projects for Providing Distribution-Lecel Services by David Lubkeman, NC State University
- Value Streams for Utility Scale Storage Projects for Providing Generation Adequacy Services by Anderson de Queiroz, NC Central University
- Value Streams for Utility Scale Storage Projects for Providing Grid Frequency Regulation Services by Ning Lu, NC State University
Session II – CAPER Project Updates
- PD-03: Customer-Oriented Planning Strategies for Active Distribution Systems – Final report by David Lubkeman, NC State and Clemson Universities
- DM-01: Cyber Vulnerability Assessment of Electrical Power of Systems using Distributed Synchrophasors – Final report by Madhav Manjrekar, UNC Charlotte and NC State University
Session III – Storage Technologies – Now and Into The Future
- Experience with Large Utility Scale Storage Projects by Tom Fenimore, Duke Energy
- DG+ Thermal Load in Buildings as Virtual Batteries by Di Wu, PNNL and presented by Ning Lu, NC State
- Future Utility Scale Storage Technologies by Paul Heitmann, Businovation
Session IV – CAPER Enhancement Project Updates
- EHP-01-PD: Resilient Distribution Systems and Optimization – Final presentations – Final presentation by Badrul Chowdhury, UNC Charlotte and Clemson University
- EHP-02-PG: Development and Demonstration of a 40 kW Photovoltaic Synchronous Generator (PVSG) – Final presentation by Ramtin Hadidi, Clemson and NC State Universities
- EHP-03-EP: How State Regulators are Attributing Costs and Benefits to Distributed Generation – Final presentation by Mesut Baran, NC State and UNC Charlotte
- EHP-04-PG: Smart Battery Gauge for Continuous Battery Assessment – Presentation by Mo-Yuen Chow, NC State and Clemson Universities
Session V – CAPER Sponsored Senior Design Project
Next CAPER Spring 2019 Meeting – March 28-29, 2019
The next CAPER meeting will be held March 28-29, 2019 at NC State University in Raleigh, NC.
Details will follow but please mark your calendars now to attend.
Thank you to everyone for taking our IAB Fall 2018 Meeting Survey! For the results, please click here.
For any questions, please contact CAPER at email@example.com or call 843-730-5068